Shadow of the Tomb Raider
|Shadow of the Tomb Raider|
|Shadow of the Tomb Raider|
|Release Date (*)||14 September 2018|
|Platforms||Xbox One, Xbox One X, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 4 Pro, PC|
|Rise of the Tomb Raider||Shadow of the Tomb Raider|
Shadow of the Tomb Raider (often shortened to SotTR or Shadow) is the 11th Tomb Raider Game - the third in the Reboot timeline - released on 14 September 2018. It will again be set in the Reboot universe established by its predecessors, Tomb Raider and Rise of the Tomb Raider.
- 1 Story
- 2 Features and Gameplay
- 3 Development & Team
- 4 System Requirements
- 5 Gallery
- 6 Shadow of the Tomb Raider Promotion History
- 7 Links
- 8 References
- Main article: Shadow of the Tomb Raider Story
- Flashback Scene at Croft Manor
- Main article: Shadow of the Tomb Raider Locations
- Flashback Scene
Brazil is mentioned, but not visited by Lara.
- Leader of Trinity as well as the Cult of Kukulkan
- Military leader of all Trinity Soldiers
- A bartender and a local leader of a small community in Kuwaq Yaku
- Former Queen of Paititi turned rebel leader
- Son of Unuratu and heir to the throne
Features and Gameplay
The gameplay mechanics are almost identical to that of the predecessor, Rise of the Tomb Raider. New moves include the ability to Rappel using the Climbing Axe. This includes Rappelling Up and Down.
Also, Lara can now hide in Vine Walls and stealthily attack out of hiding. This was previously only possible with ground covering plants like tall grass.
Furthermore the underwater diving has been greatly enhanced. Lara can now Dive down and up, collect items underwater and manipulate her surroundings, like Underwater Pry Doors. There are also pockets of Trapped Air, which extend her ability to remain under water.
Difficulty and Accessibility
- Main article: Shadow of the Tomb Raider Difficulty
In Shadow of the Tomb Raider there is a new system of settings to modify and personalize the difficulty settings. This includes changing the difficulty in three different areas (puzzles, traversal, and combat) to four possible presets, from easy to Deadly Obsession, which is the hardest setting.
Additionally there are multiple accessibility settings that enable players with disabilities to play the game.
Development & Team
The reboot time-line that started with Tomb Raider (2013) and continued in Rise of the Tomb Raider was allegedly created with a trilogy in mind from the beginning.
Shadow of the Tomb Raider had been rumoured to be the title of the game ever since October 2016. It was finally confirmed on 15 March 2018
- Daniel Bisson (Senior Game Director)
- David Hubert (Cinematics Director)
- Yann Regnier (3D Artist)
- Emilie Guilloux (Performance Lead)
- Jill Murray (Lead Writer)
- Mathieu Bissonette (Level Designer)
- Jason Dozois (Narrative Director)
- Lead Sound Designer Frederic Arnaud (Lead Sound Designer)
- Charly Chive (Concept Artist)
- Martin Palko (Senior Technical Artist)
- Audrey Flammand Lapointe (Senior Lighting Artist)
- Bianca Lavric (Dev Tester)
- Daniel Drapeau (Gameplay Director)
- David Boileau (UI Lead)
- Marco Foglia (Senior Animator)
May of the developers presented short snippets of their work in the Shadow of the Tomb Raider - Meet The Team series of videos.
- Camilla once again features as the Motion Capture actress for Lara Croft
- Earl will again reprise his role as Lara's best friend Jonah.
A first glimpse of the Soundtrack was released by Square Enix on 11 July 2018 on SoundCloud; the preview consists of four tracks:
- Mayan Tomb (Early Sketch)
- Shadow Overture
- One Last Breath
- Trail of Blood
Additionally a video called Shadow of the Tomb Raider - Making of Announcement Video was released on YouTube, promoting the Music Making Of for the game. The title of the track presented in this video seems to be "The End of the Beginning".
PC System Requirements as listed on Steam are:
- OS: Windows 7 64 bit
- Processor: Intel i3-3220 or AMD equivalent
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Graphics: Nvidia GTX 660/GTX 1050 or AMD Radeon HD 7770
- DirectX: Version 11
- Storage: 40 GB available space
- OS: Windows 10 64-bit
- Processor: Intel i7-4770K, 3.40 Ghz or AMD Ryzen 5 1600, 3.20 Ghz
- Memory: 16 GB RAM
- Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB or AMD Radeon RX 480, 8GB
- DirectX: Version 12
- Storage: 40 GB available space
Shadow of the Tomb Raider Promotion History
At first, not much of the story had been revealed. The new logo, resembling a solar eclipse, has been interpreted as a sign that the story might revolve around the movement of celestial bodies in our solar system.
During the Reveal Events in London, Los Angeles, and Montreal in early 2018, a playable Demo confirmed a Maya theme to the game and that Lara not only has to fight Trinity in it, but also needs do avert The Cleansing, a Maya apocalypse she herself triggered by taking the Key of Chak Chel, an ancient obsidian Dagger she took from a Dig Site outside Cozumel.
More game play shown at E3 later the same year confirmed that the Silver Box of Ix Chel, the artefact that Lara and Trinity are looking for, is located not in Brazil, but in Peru.
History of the Title "Shadow of the Tomb Raider"
- Original Leak (October 2016)
- The rumour first surfaced on 31 October 2016 when Reddit user Tripleh280 reported he saw a presentation of something called "Shadow of the Tomb Raider" open on someone's laptop while riding the subway in Montreal. It was noted that it's not far fetched to assume that Eidos Montreal may be involved in the development process, as they are also a subsidiary of Square Enix, just like Crystal Dynamics who created the Tomb Raider games since Tomb Raider: Legend. On the other hand it might be something as innocent as someone working on a fan project or an academic paper analysing Tomb Raider.
- Eurogamer Usage (January 2017)
- In late January, early February 2017 rumours surfaced that Crystal Dynamics will not be responsible for Shadow of the Tomb Raider, as they are currently involved in the new Marvel Avangers game that takes up most of their time. Instead Eidos Montreal would be in charge of Tomb Raider. This rumour was picked up by Eurogamer in an article.
- Concept/Promotional Images Leak (June 2017)
- In the middle of June 2017 promotional images (logos) and concept art was discovered on the server of a marketing firm. This leak quickly spread throughout the community despite Square Enix trying to contain the leak. (Note: As a member of the official fan site program we ask our members to not share the leaked material!)
- Game Announcment (December 2017)
- Although there has been no official confirmation that the next game will be called "Shadow of the Tomb Raider", multiple fans have pointed out that the wording chosen for the announcement hints at the title: The capital letters spell out the word "Shadow".
A new Tomb Raider game is coming.
Driven by our goal of putting our fans first, we want you to know that it won’t be very long between the official reveal and when you can play.Our journey together will begin with a major event in 2018. We simply can’t wait to take you on Lara Croft’s defining adventure.
- 7 December 2017:
- Square Enix officially confirms that a new Tomb Raider game is in the making. Further news and a "big event" have been announced for early 2018.
- 31 January 2017:
- The game is rumoured to be produced by Eidos Montreal instead of Crystal Dynamics, the studio that has been responsible for the Reboot Games as well as the LAU games, as they are currently involved in the new Marvel Avengers game announced earlier this month.
- 31 October 2016:
- Shadow of the Tomb Raider is rumoured to be the title of the upcoming game.
- 26 August 2016:
- Ian Milham will be game director for the upcoming Tomb Raider game.
- ↑ http://www.gamespot.com/articles/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-follow-up-teased-not-an-xb/1100-6429504/
- ↑ http://tombraider.com Official Tomb Raider website
- ↑ https://twitter.com/camilluddington/status/974297421483163648 Camilla Luddington on Twitter
- ↑ https://store.steampowered.com/app/750920/Shadow_of_the_Tomb_Raider/
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/5aci6z/image_saw_someone_working_on_a_presentation_for/ Reddit Post by Tripleh280
- ↑ http://kotaku.com/name-of-next-tomb-raider-leaks-because-guy-had-it-open-1788419554?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow Kotaku Article Name Of Next Tomb Raider Leaks Because Guy Had It Open On Subway
- ↑ http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-30-dont-expect-another-deus-ex-game-anytime-soon Eurogamer Article about Deus Ex, which up until now has been made by Eidos Montreal
- ↑ https://twitter.com/tombraider/status/938815473478615040
- ↑ Articles:2017/12/07/Third Reboot Tomb Raider Game Confirmed
- ↑ http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-30-dont-expect-another-deus-ex-game-anytime-soon
- ↑ http://www.gamespot.com/articles/tomb-raider-dev-hires-dead-space-veteran-to-direct/1100-6443063/