|Release Date||November 2013|
|PlayStation 3||PlayStation 4|
The PlayStation 4 is the forth video game console produced by Japanese electronics company Sony. It was released on November 15, 2013 in the US and on November 29, 2013 in Europe. It is the successor of the PlayStation 3 and is a member of the 8th generation gaming consoles along with Microsofts Xbox One and Nintendos Wii U.
Just as the Xbox One the PS4 features a custom 8 core x86 64bit APU (combined CPU/GPU) developed by AMD and has a build in BluRay drive as well as a hard disk for save game storage and downloaded content.
Unlike the Xbox it is accompanied by 8GB of (G)DDR5 RAM (unified, used as both graphics and main menory).
Hard disk sizes vary between 500 and 1000 GB. Hard disks are replaceable with standard 2.5" SATA drives.
PlayStation 4 Slim
The PS4 Slim will feature the same specifications as the original (fat) release in a smaller packaging. It was officially announced by Sony on 7 September 2016.
PlayStation 4 Pro
Rumours about a new and more powerful version of the PS4 - called PlayStation 4 Neo back then - started floating around as early as 2015 and was finally officially announced by Sony on 7 September 2016 under the name PlayStation 4 Pro. Both the original and the Pro version are fully compatible, meaning that all games published to date will run on the Pro and all future games optimized for the Pro will also run on the original version (although with lower graphics settings).
It's introduction price was $399/£349, just as the original PS4 was back in 2013.
The following specifications have been made public:
- CPU: x86-64 AMD Jaguar 8 cores
- Higher core frequency and overall chip improvements increases the processing power to roughly double that of the original release
- GPU: 4.20 TFLOPS, AMD Radeon based graphics engine
- Based on the new Polaris architecture.
- 8GB GDDR5
- 1TB hard disk
The following reason for adding it to the list has been given: More info after release. Further reasons might be found on the "discussion page".
The following is true for each version of the PlayStation 4:
- DualShock 4 Controllers
- Main article: DualShock#DualShock 4
- The new controllers feature a touch pad in the centre as well as a share button that saves screen-shots and videos to the hard disk and/or uploads them to social media.
- Online Features
- The PS4 connects to the internet by means of a gigabit Ethernet port or 802.11g/n WiFi. PlayStation Network is used for on-line gaming and use of the PlayStation Store.
- Video Recording and Screenshots
- The PS4 always creates a video of the last 15 minutes of game-play and sdaves it to the hard disk. These and additional screen-shots can be shared on Facebook or Twitter by use of the Share button on the Dualshock 4 controller, or can later be copied to an external USB drive.
- Remote Play
- Owners of a PlayStation Vita can link their PS for via Remote Play: Game sessions can then be transferred to the Vita and continued over the local network or the internet. Also, game-play can be streamed to a PC or Mac using PS4 Remote Play
- Main article: PlayStation VR
In 2016, Sony released a virtual reality device for the PS4 called PlayStation VR. It consists of headset with displays for both eyes and gives the player a virtual reality experience in supported games like the new Blood Ties content of Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration.
Games on PlayStation 4
Tomb Raider (2013) Definitive Edition
Tomb Raider (2013) was the first Tomb Raider game to be released for this console in the form of the reworked Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, release in January of 2014. It features enhanced graphics, using the consoles more advanced hardware.
Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris
Rise of the Tomb Raider
The successor of the reboot game will be released one year after the version for the Xbox One (11 October 2016) because of a timed exclusivity deal with Microsoft. This has been confirmed by Crystal Dynamics.
The full title of the PlayStation 4 version is Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration. This version will also be released for Xbox One and PC as well on the same date. On the PS4 Pro (see above) it features 4k resolution.
- http://tombraider.tumblr.com/day/2016/09/07 Official Tomb Raider Blog
- http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4-pro-specs-release-date-and-price-confirmed/1100-6443352/ Gamspot on the new PS4 Pro
- https://remoteplay.dl.playstation.net/remoteplay/lang/en/index.html Remote Play Download, playstation.net
- http://www.wikiraider.com/index.php/Articles:2015/07/23/PC_and_PS4_release_dates_revealed Wiki News Article
- http://tombraider.tumblr.com/post/124843126455/square-enix-announces-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-for Official Tomb Raider Blog
- CrystalID Fansite Newsletter: 08/03/2016