Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
|Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition|
|Release Date||January 29th 2014 (US), January 31st 2014 (EU)|
|Platforms||PlayStation 4, Xbox One|
|Tomb Raider (2013)|
Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition is the title of the reworked release of Tomb Raider (2013) for the next generation video consoles PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. It is was released on January, 29th 2014 (US), or January, 31st 2014 (rest of the world), respectively.
Although the plot of the game remains the same, it features all previously released DLC (Multiplayer as well as the additional Hidden Tomb called Tomb of the Lost Adventurer) and a completely reworked model of Lara. Additionally the graphics in this version of the game have been improved due to the more sophisticated hardware of these 8th generation consoles.
- Will PC users be getting an update that allows them to play with the next-gen Lara model?
- Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition was designed and rebuilt from the ground up for next-generation consoles. At this time a PC update is not planned.
- Is Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition available for the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3?
- No, Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition was built from the ground up for next-generation console technology that isn’t available in previous hardware.
- Can I get the art book packaging without purchasing the game? I'd like to buy it separately.
- The art book packaging is a pre-order exclusive, and will not be sold as a standalone retail offering.
- When will we see more gameplay? How about comparison screens?
- We've got a good number of assets to show off before Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition's launch. The title releases on January 28 in North America and January 31 in Europe, so you don't have long to wait!
- Will Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition be available as a digital download?
- Yes, Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition will be available as a digital download on both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 at launch.
- Will the DLC, digital art book, and documentary be on disc? Or packaged up with a code?
- All bonus content is on disc for physical versions of Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition. If you purchase a digital copy of the game, the content will be installed on your HDD.
- How many FPS does Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition run at?
- We are still optimizing the game for both platforms and will be doing so until we release to manufacturing so that we get the highest performance possible.
- Does Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition run natively at 1080p on both consoles?
- Yes, Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition’s gameplay is native 1080p on both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4.
- Is Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition just a port of the PC game?
- No, Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition is not a port of the PC game. Definitive Edition was rebuilt from the ground up for next-gen consoles. The X360, PS3, and PC editions were where we started from; and then we added an improved lighting and shadow caster system, more detailed storytelling visuals, massive amounts of more particle effects, a fully simulated physics world, and the new next-gen Lara.
- Some key Definitive Edition improvements include:
- An all-new Lara model created to take advantage of the power of next-gen consoles.
- Gear on Lara (necklace, climbing axe, radio, arrows) now have realistic physics.
- Lara’s head has been retopologized and increased in resolution for a higher fidelity appearance. Her head was rebuilt from scratch with an estimated 5x density improvement on features for eyes, nose, mouth, cheeks, etc. All of her textures are higher resolution as well. We’ve also smoothed over edges on elbows, shoulders, and legs to give more natural features.
- Shaders and lighting have been reworked to showcase the raw physicality of Lara’s journey through sweat, mud, and blood materials and effects.
- The world has been dynamically brought to life using complex physical world simulation on trees, foliage, cloth. Additional enhancements have also been made to weather and lighting.
- All textures have been created at 4x resolution for maximum fidelity and detail.
- In-game characters, enemies, and destructibility have been enhanced for added realism.
- Subsurface scattering technology has been implemented to capture the most physically accurate lighting simulation and deliver a great sense of believability on Lara.
- Native 1080p gameplay gives outstanding visual fidelity and showcases the deadly beauty of Yamatai.