Tomb Raider (2018)
Rumours of a third film have been around for as long as the mid 2000s, shortly after the second Angelina Jolie movie (The Cradle of Life) was released in 2003. All these projects mentioned below in the Development History section of this article never left the planning stages.
A new movie project was finally announced in April 2016. This film will be made by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer and Warner Bors. - unlike the previous instalments that were created by Paramount -, and will be produced by Graham King's GK Films.
When the movie was originally announced in early 2016 not much was known about the story. Rumour has it that it will be centred around a young and inexperienced Lara Croft and set in the corresponding Tomb Raider (2013) reboot universe. The storyline provided by IMDb even suggests an movie adaptation of the first reboot game, but this, too, is probably just speculation.
On 22 November 2016 a YouTube video featuring a short interview with Graham King, the producer of the film, appeared. In it he confirmed that this will in fact be a "back to the roots story" featuring a young Lara Croft, who is trying to find out if "her father is dead or alive".
Cast & Crew
Note: The following list is compiled from the IMDb and may not be final and/or complete as the movie is still in production.
- Alicia Vikander as Lara Croft (Reboot Movie)
- Walton Goggins as Father Mathias Vogel
- Dominic West as Lord Richard Croft (Reboot Movie)
- Daniel Wu as Lu Ren
- Leo Ashizawa as Alex Ren
- Alexandre Willaume
- Adrian Collins
- Producer: Graham King, Gary Barber
- Co-Producer: Tim Headington
- Executive Producer: Drew Crevello, Cassidy Lange, Denis O'Sullivan
- Nathan McCree (Composer)
At first Tomb Raider was rumoured to be filmed in Queensland, Australia., but the set was moved to the vicinity of Capetown, South Africa and shooting began there in early 2017.
Tomb Raider Movie 3 has been the codename the community has used for all of the rumoured 3rd Tomb Raider Movies featuring an origins storyline, which supposedly were planned before the announcement of the 2018 release.
- After a lot of speculation during the previous years, it was finally announced that a third movie was currently being planned. The rights for the movie were sold to Graham King's GK Films and that they were aiming for a movie with an Origins-storyline and a release in 2013.
- After the huge success of Tomb Raider Legend a 3rd movie seemed likely. It however was never realized. In an interview on August 16th 2006 with Eurogamer Ian Livingstone said:
- Articles:2016/07/07/Third Movie Gets Release Date
- Articles:2016/04/29/Third Movie: Alicia Vikander Cast As Lara Croft
- http://www.gamespot.com/articles/more-tomb-raider-movie-details-emerge/1100-6442030/ Article on Gamespot
- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1365519/ IMDb Entry
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuyJLrIUc1s Interview with Graham King