|Strategy||depending on the situation evade to the side or run from it|
The Rolling Boulder (also Rolling Ball if spherical) is a very common trap in the Tomb Raider and Lara Croft Games. These spherical or almost spherical rocks come tumbling down slopes and threaten to squash Lara when she's in their path.
Prior to Tomb Raider IV: The Last Revelation, the balls are not physics based, and will only roll in one direction at a constant speed, until they hit a ledge, wall, or a slope that faces the other way. However in the fourth game it is physics based and it bounces and rolls according to the terrain.
The boulder was not featured in Tomb Raider Chronicles and The Angel of Darkness.
Boulders always kill Lara instantly unless she is in a vehicle. She bleeds extensively in the first three games when flattened by a boulder.
- One of the passages in the entrance chamber of the Tomb of Qualopec contains a boulder.
- In Natla's Mines the boulders Lara encounters are actually lava boulders.
Tomb Raider II
- In the level The Great Wall Lara has to run from a number of rolling boulders.
- In the Opera House Lara is once again confronted with several boulders of different sizes at once.
- In the Tibet levels Lara is confronted by a similar trap made out of giant rolling snowballs, the avalanche.
Tomb Raider III
The Lost Artifact
Tomb Raider IV: The Last Revelation
Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend
- The first real trap in Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend is a giant boulder. Lara encounters it when going upstream after climbing the vines, using the rope and traversing a narrow ledge. To evade it, she can stand on the right side.
- There is a comparable rolling boulder in the Game Boy Advance version of the game: Bolivia. It will come tumbling down the hill from the right. Simply climb back up on the left to evade it, it will roll past and disappear.
Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Anniversary
Tomb Raider (2013)
- At the end of her escape from the Scavenger's Den in the first level of Tomb Raider (2013), Force of Will, Lara has evade two rolling boulders while scrambling up a steep slope.
Lara Croft: Relic Run
During the Desert Ruins section there are occasions where during a run a boulder comes out of an opening overhead. One of these instances is in Level 53.
- A special kind of rolling ball.
- A trap consisting of more than one set of boulders, rocks, or snow balls coming down a slope.
- A trap similar to the landslide or avalanche, but instead of natural elements like rocks or snow it consists or barrels.
- A trap similar to the Collapsing Ceiling, usually a rock falls down from above and crushes Lara beneath it.