|Obstacle Type||contraption for climbing|
|Strategy||grab hold of pole and climb up or down|
The Climbing Pole (also Vine where it occurs naturally) is an obstacle in the Tomb Raider Games.
It enables Lara to reach places on a different level, thus functioning like a ladder would. A climbing pole can be attached to a wall, in which case it most commonly is a type of vine, or it can be free standing, only attached to the floor, the roof, or both. In case of the free standing pole Lara can not only climb up or down but also around it, which is very important in the earlier games where she can only jump backwards off the pole.
Tomb Raider IV: The Last Revelation
- The poles in The Last Revelation are free standing poles.
Tomb Raider Legend
- The first occurrence of the climbing vine is in the Bolivia level. Here the vine is attached to the wall.
- In Tomb Raider Legend Lara encounters icicles she can climb on for the first time. The difference to the climbing pole is, that they may break off and fall into the depths.
- A dangling rope similar to the climbing pole, Lara can climb up or down on it, but she can also swing on it to reach far away places.
- A horizontal pole that Lara can swing on and sometimes climb along sideways.
- Another means of reaching places on a different level.