TombraiderDOX (aka Tombraider-DOX or Tomb Raider The Dagger of Xian) is a fan project aiming at rebuilding 1997 Tomb Raider II using today's technical possibilities using the Unreal Engine 4. As of September 2017 a demo is available, containing the first level, the Great Wall of China. Later the same month version 1.1 of the demo was released, fixing some bugs and introducing a 32-bit build. The project is named after the main artefact in Tomb Raider II, the Dagger of Xian.
Tomb Raider The Dagger of Xian was initiated by a fan commonly known as Nicobass (Nicolas Vancayseele) from Lyon, France. There are several other people involved in the project - mostly fans of the original Tomb Raider Classic games.
The project has gone public around May 2016 (website creation date), when a lot of screenshots and artworks were put online. The exact date the project started is unknown; a forum post suggests it was in the end of 2014, a posting that was later removed. He also suggested in that thread that the needed two year for learning Unreal Engine 4 programming.
The game is a complete redevelopment, meaning that all objects and areas have to be recreated for use with the Unreal Engine. All artwork, music, and voices are original, but some of the animation sounds have been taken from Tomb Raider: Underworld.
The following people are involved with TombraiderDOX:
- Project Director
- Dean Kopri
- Music Composer
- Inna Vjuzhanina
- Main Menu and Loading Screen Artwork
- Alexandre Serel
- Scenery Writer
- Lara Voice Acting
- https://web.archive.org/web/20160528194654/http://tombraider-dox.com:80/ archive.org
- https://whois.icann.org/en/lookup?name=tombraider-dox.com domain whois data
- https://web.archive.org/web/20160719225018/http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=214325 tombraiderforums.com post from March 2016, suggesting he had been working on the project for about one and a half year already
- http://tombraider-dox.com/credits/ Credits page