The Creation of an article is the first step in the articles development and a crucial one. It is were many mistakes are made.
Detecting Missing Articles
A missing article can be found by seeking out red links in other articles or by discovering missing pages when entering keywords in the search field. By following red links you will get to the "edit" page of the article.
BEWARE: Finding an empty article where you expected one does not always mean that the article is missing.
Testing for Other Notations
Before creating a new article, verify that it is indeed missing. It is possible that the correct article is located under a different notation. If that's the case a Redirect (#REDIRECT [[$Name_of_the_Article]]) has to be set up, instead of creating a new article.
There are many variations one should test before creating a new article.
- singular, plural
- capitalisation of the first letters
- grammatical variations
- BE / AE spelling
In general we will use plural, e.g. rats instead of rat.
Also look up how the item you want to add is references in related items articles and search in all pages.
It is possible that links were set where they aren't necessary, so you should always confirm that it makes sense to create a new article.
- Is the item of importance in Tomb Raider?
- Is it referenced more than once throughout the games, movies, comics...?
Another question you should consider is "who set up the link". If a moderator or administrator added the link (s)he probably considered it relevant.
Clear Definition of the Item
Further you should be really clear about the item you want to describe.
- If you find the dead link Wall Hook do not assume it could have something to do with the grapple and running along walls. Check the context of the dead link and if you are not familiar with it, leave it for someone else to work on.
If in doubt you can start a discussion in our Forum about the item in question.
Choosing a Name
- Main article: WikiRaider:Naming conventions
After you have confirmed that a new article is indeed wanted, you should take a moment to think about a perfect name for the item. Choose one that is most commonly used, do not be too creative, if in doubt, ask for help and stick to the Naming conventions.
The most important rule:
- Always stick to the original.
- Pick the exact spelling used in the games (movies, books, comics...).
Creating an Article
The perfect name has been found and it has been determined that no other article for the item in question exists. Not it is time to create the article and lay the groundwork for it. The article should include all necessary wiki formatting. We offer several samples for different articles types you can use to create your article.
- Main article: WikiRaider:Edit
Include all necessary formatting. You find a more detailed description in the following help file: Edit
- Title of the Article Bold
- The title of the article should be included at the beginning of the first sentence and be in bold. The first sentence should also include alternative names (also in bold) and put the item into context.
Entry Result Rules
The '''Kraken''' is a special type of enemy appearing in Tomb Raider Underworld.
The Kraken is a special type of enemy appearing in Tomb Raider Underworld.
bold signifies the name of the article (or any alternative names stated in the same article)
- Links to Other Articles
- Links to related articles should be included in the article. Set every keyword (e.g. Tomb Raider Underworld, Lara Croft, Shotgun) as Wiki link:
Entry Result Rules
The '''Kraken''' is a special type of [[enemy]] appearing in [[Tomb Raider Underworld]]. Lara encounters it in the [[Mediterranean]] level [[Niflheim]].
Again bold for the title of the article. And [] for links within the wiki.
- Italic for Emphasizing a Word
- To emphasize a word within a text you should use the italic style. Do not use bold writing as it is exclusively for the article name. An alternative is the usage of "".
Entry Result Rules
The [[Kraken]] can be considered a type of ''[[Boss]]''.
italic is for emphasized text
The [[Kraken]] can be considered a type of "[[Boss]]".
"" can be used as an alternative
- Categorize Articles
- Each article has one or more categories it belongs to. To add an article to a category, add the following line to the end of the article, and replace $Name_of_the_Category with the actual name:
- Have a look at the list of categories to see which exist.
- Link to the German Wiki
- Each article should have a counterpart in the German Wiki and a link to it should be added at the end of an article, even after the category links. Add the following line to the end of the article, and replace $German_Name_of_the_Article with the actual name:
- If you do not know the name of the German article, have a look at the German wiki, or if you cannot find your way in there, ask in our forum, or at least report it as missing.