Tomb Raider: The Ten Thousand Immortals
|The Ten Thousand Immortals|
|Author||Dan Abnett & Nik Vincent|
|Release||October 20th 2014|
Tomb Raider: The Ten Thousand Immortals is a Tomb Raider novel released in 2014 and written by Dan Abnett and Nik Vincent, telling the story of Lara coping with real life after her return from Yamatai. The novel takes place right after the events of the game, and before the Tomb Raider Comics.
Back in her London flat Lara and Sam try to get back to their old life. But for Sam this proves to be too difficult. When a call from the hospital reaches Lara, she learns that her friend has taken an overdose of a substance, allegedly trying to end her own life. She has left a good-by-letter to Lara in which she says, that it's all too much for her and that she believes that she cannot be saved from Himiko. When Lara arrives at the hospital, Sam is in a coma. During the next couple of days Lara visits her friend regularly and while at home she researches the healing powers of historical artefacts to find unconventional ways to help her friend.
However, Lara is not alone in her pursuit of the treasure. A nefarious magnate, a shadow society, and lethal henchmen will stop at nothing to exploit the powerful relic for their own ends. The hunt drives Lara across the globe, through a twisted web of conspiracy, suspicious contracts, and life-or-death intrigue, as she seeks salvation for her friend and the truth behind the legendary talisman.
- After returning home from Yamatai Lara tries to get back to her old life and her and Sam's London flat. She constantly has to fight anxiety attacks and things get worse when her friends Sam lands in the hospital.
- Samantha's return to civilization proves even more difficult to her. The sun goddess Himiko still seems to have a hold on her. Seeing no way out Sam tries to end her own life taking an overdose.
- A doctor at the hospital where Sam is admitted after her suicide attempt.
- Bernard 
- A neighbour of Lara's who drives an old car probably responsible for a backfire which sets off one of Lara's anxiety attacks.
- Tomb Raider Blog
- Tomb Raider: The Ten Thousand Immortals, page 18