Tomb Raider IV: The Last Revelation
|Tomb Raider IV|
|The Last Revelation|
|Platforms||PC, Mac, PlayStation and Dreamcast|
|Lost Artifact||Tomb Raider IV||Tomb Raider Chronicles|
Tomb Raider IV: The Last Revelation is the fourth game of the Tomb Raider games series. The entire game, except for the two-level intro, takes place in Egypt and is the lengthiest game of the series. As well as a new engine, the game boasts more intricate levels. An expansion level for PC only was created afterwards in conjunction with The Times newspaper. No other expansion was created like the previous three games.
- 1 Release Dates in Detail
- 2 Levels
- 3 Synopsis
- 4 Summary
- 5 Features
- 6 Gameplay
- 7 Story
- 8 Locations
- 9 Gear
- 10 Characters and Enemies
- 11 Development
Release Dates in Detail
- 7 - Temple Of Karnak
- 8 - The Great Hypostyle Hall
- 9 - Sacred Lake
- 10 - Tomb Of Semerkhet
- 11 - Guardian of Semerkhet
- 12 - Desert Railroad
- 13 - Alexandria
- 14 - Coastal Ruins
- 15 - Catacombs
- 16 - Temple Of Poseidon
- 17 - The Lost Library
- 18 - Hall Of Demetrius
- 19 - Pharos, Temple Of Isis
- 20 - Cleopatra's Palaces
- 21 - City Of The Dead
- 22 - Chambers Of Tulun
- 23 - Citadel Gate
- 24 - Trenches
- 25 - Street Bazaar
- 26 - Citadel
Pyramids of Giza:
- 27 - The Sphinx Complex
- 28 - Underneath The Sphinx
- 29 - Menkaure's Pyramid
- 30 - Inside Menkaure's Pyramid
- 31 - The Mastabas
- 32 - The Great Pyramid
- 33 - Khufu's Queens Pyramids
- 34 - Inside The Great Pyramid
- 35 - Temple Of Horus
According to Egyptian legend, Horus, son of the light, outwitted the evil God Set and imprisoned him in a secret tomb. Five thousand years later, Lara Croft discovers the lost tomb and unwittingly unleashes the evil God Set, fulfilling the ancient prophecy of his return to plunge mankind into darkness! In a race against time, Lara must use all her wit and skill to reimprison Set and save the world from Armageddon. Pursued at every turn by her arch-rival, the unscrupulous archaeologist Werner Von Croy, Lara embarks on a journey of discovery across Egypt, where she must overcome the most ingenious puzzles and infernal traps ever devised, and face terrifying evil from beyond the grave...
With more twists and turns than an Egyptian labyrinth, this is heart stopping action-adventure; a Tomb Raider that truly offers...
The Last Revelation.
- Epic Storyline: Go back in time and discover Lara's roots as an adventurer.
- All-new smooth single skin technology for both you and adult Lara Croft.
- New inventory system: allowing Lara to combine items to make tools, enhance weapons and solve puzzles during her adventuring!
- Interactive environments: Lara can shoot switches, read inscriptions, light torches, kick down doors, etc.
- More new moves than ever before: including climbing and swing from ropes.
- New weapons and tools: including the revolver, crossbow, binoculars, flashlight and various types of ammo.
- Highly evolved A.I.: enemies mimic, counter and dodge Lara's moves.
The game uses an upgraded engine, from the one that was used to produce the first 3 games. The title screen is different since the player will fly through first person perspective across many scenes related to Egypt, while selecting from the game menu. This is different compared to the traditional ring and passport system adopted by the first three games. The inventory is also displayed differently. Instead of the ring system, is uses a conveyor belt style approach which runs across the top of the screen.
Lara is constructed from more polygons and her mouth actually moves when she speaks, this makes a great change to the sporadic nodding that she would adopt when speaking in the previous games. This also applies to all other characters. As well as being able to perform all the moves of the previous games, she can now rope swing and shimmy around corners. She will continuously push/pull boxes without having to start and stop over again (a very annoying aspect of the previous games). She can also now pull levers with a oscillating motion. Although Lara can move more fluidly, the camera positions have found been found to pose some difficulties.
Weapons have changed also. With the introduction of new weapons, comes different types of ammunition. This applies to the shotgun, crossbow and grenade launcher. Different types of ammo have different capabilities, e.g. the poison and explosive crossbow ammunition. Also the laser sight makes its first appearance in this game. It is found separately and can be attached to the revolver and crossbow for more accurate shooting that takes place in the first person perspective.
When shooting, empty bullets can be seen being emptied from the weapon. Enhanced smoke effects are also used when a weapon is shot. When Lara climbs out of water, droplets of water can be seen dripping from all over her body. Sun reflection have been enhanced and also general weathering.
The game has new vehicles and Lara keeps her classic tomb raider outfit on throughout the game. Last revelation is a resurrection of the original Tomb Raider. As well as the outfit, the mass features of tombs and quiet locations backs up this resurrection. Croft Mansion does not appear in this game. The first level serves as a training course as Von Croy will guide Lara with tips.
I Semerkhet, High Priest of Horus, forewarn that he who removes the Amulet shall have released Set. He who walked abroad with the Jackals at the dawn of man shall once again violate the Earth.
Set, ruler of evil, will again be free at the turn of a distant millennia. At his heel plagues and locusts. Harvests fail under the broken skies.
And Set sayeth: "I am the shadows across the sun: I am the bringer of plagues. My wrath will consume all lands, and shall be ceaseless."
Weapons & Ammo
Characters and Enemies
- The main villain of the game. Once Lara's mentor, he now seeks revenge for Lara leaving him trapped in Cambodia. He becomes possessed by Set.
- A friend of Lara's. He helps her along the game with information. He is kidnapped by Von Croy but later is rescued by Lara.
- Lara's guide. He was secretly working for Von Croy. He accompanies Lara through the Tomb of Seth but runs off after translating some script above a doorway.
- A soldier in the Egyptian army Lara meets in Cairo.
- Wild Boar
- Baddy 1 (Blue Robed Baddy)
- Baddy 2 (Red-Black Robed Baddy)
- Small Scorpion
- Giant Scorpion
- Fire Wraith (red)
- Ice Wraith (blue)
- Air Wraith (white)
- Knights Templar
- Little Beetle
- Big Beetle
- Demigod 1 (guy with hammer)
- Cleopatra's Guards
- Enemy Jeep
- Troops (friendly)
- Sphinx Bull
- Horseman, with or without horse
- Richard Flower (Programmer)
- Tom Scutt (AI)
- Phil Chapman and Jerr O'Carroll (Animator)
- Andrea Cordella and Pete Duncan (Level designer)
- Peter Conelly (Music and sound FX).