|Strategy||jump to pole, swing around it, jump off|
The horizontal pole can be used by Lara to reach the other side of a gap, or move along an otherwise non-traversable area by jumping from pole to pole.
Usually she swings on the bar and then jumps towards the target. In several games she can swing around the pole for as long as she likes.
Tomb Raider Legend saw the first occurrence of horizontal poles that Lara can move along sideways, to adjust her position, before using it to swing somewhere. Also since Tomb Raider Legend there are two types of horizontal poles, those that are firmly attached and those that can be moved. The latter swing around when Lara jumps towards them. After Lara lets go, they might stay in place, or swing back.
In Underworld, Lara is able to pull up onto poles to walk across them. Some can even be pulled from the wall to be used as weapon or inserted into another hole in the walls.
Tomb Raider Chronicles
- One of the swing bars can be found inside the elevator shaft of the VCI building.
Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend
- Inside the Gym are a number of horizontal bars for practice.
- Near the end of the Tiwanaku level, Lara encounters what Zip calls the evil coat rack empire, a number of contraptions with horizontal poles attached, that swing around 90 degrees, when Lara jumps onto it.
- They can break away.
- Those found in front of the castle swing around.
- They can break away.
Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Anniversary
- There are seven of these obstacles throughout the level. One of them swings around when Lara grabs hold. To get the Relic Killer Whale Bottle, Lara has to jump towards the bar that swings around and quickly jump to the ledge in the wall, before she can't reach it anymore.
Tomb Raider Underworld
- The wall in the large chamber with the Lords of Xibalba holds quite a few horizontal bars, there are also some inside the Flame House.
Tomb Raider (2013)
- The horizontal pole in the level Some Time Alone also swings around when Lara jumps towards it.
Lara Croft: Relic Run
- During her Run Lara may encounter horizontal bars spanning across a pit or in front of a steep slope.
Rise of the Tomb Raider
In Rise of the Tomb Raider Lara encounters branches she can use to swing from one to the other, thus moving through the trees. She also encounters other forms of horizontal bars
- In the Hidden Oasis a metal chandelier with a bar attached at the bottom serves as horizontal swing pole.
The Hidden Oasis (Rise)